When I’m writing this it’s already December and the December Paletteful Packs have been shipped, so I have to be relatively quick with the blog post. Fortunately shipping the Packs from USA to Poland takes about two weeks, so I don’t need to rush it too much 😀
At the moment the contents on the website list the December Pack’s contents but I copied them along with their stated prices so I can compare them to Polish prices if they’re available 🙂
- Standard Series Acrylics General Selection Set 6 × 20 ml
- POSCA Paint Marker, Extra-Fine Bullet – Violet
- Winsor Newton Fineliners 0.5 fineliner in Cool Grey
- Robert Simmons Sapphire Sable-Synthetic Blend Brush
- Art Alternatives Artist Palette Knife
- Art Alternatives Stretched Canvas – 8″ x 10″
- Crescent Canvas Textured Boards 3pk – 8″ x 10″
- Paletteful Packs Pouch – Free Gift!
- Anniversary sticker
I paid for the pack 35$ (around 145 PLN) plus 15$ for shipping (~62,5 PLN) and 40 PLN (around 10$) for customs fees. Altogether it was 60$/245,5 PLN. Let’s look at the prices of the contents separately. Let’s see what’s the cost of the items inside the package then.
- Standard Series Acrylics General Selection Set 6 × 20ml – MSRP: $17.65 / 44,45 PLN. Available on SzałArt for 44,45 PLN (17.65 USD = 71,73 PLN)
- POSCA Paint Marker, Extra-Fine Bullet – Violet – MSRP: $4.10 / 13,50 PLN. Available on PaperConcept for 13,50 PLN (4.10 USD = 16,66 PLN)
- Winsor Newton Fineliners 0.5 fineliner in Cool Grey – 8,75 PLN. It’s a replacement for last month’s defective fineliner so on the official website MSRP isn’t listed but last month’s fineliners are available on SzałArt for 8,75 PLN.
- Robert Simmons Sapphire Sable-Synthetic Blend Brush – MSRP: $14.99 / 60,92 PLN. Unavailable in Poland! According to Google the MSRP translates to 60,92 PLN. I won’t compare it to other brands’ brushes because I’m not sure what grade of quality it is (the description suggest a really high quality though) and the brushes I usually buy for acrylics are hard bristled, this one is soft.
- Art Alternatives Artist Palette Knife – MSRP: $5.49 / 11,40 PLN. This brand is unavailable in Poland. I looked for a similar shape and dimensions one and found Renesans number 8 for 11,40 PLN. (5.49 USD = 22,31 PLN)
- Art Alternatives Stretched Canvas – 8″ x 10″- MSRP: $13.99 / 9,15 PLN. Another one from Art Alternatives which isn’t available in Poland. I tried to find a different canvas in the same size but it’s not easy. In Poland we use centimeters rather than inches and 8x10in is close to 20x25cm which isn’t a popular canvas size here. The ones I found were between 10 and 15 PLN. But I’m not sure about their quality. The one I’d normally get in a more popular size, 20x30cm would cost me 9,15 PLN. Maybe the one from Art Alternatives is a much higher quality because $13.99 = 56,85 PLN.
- Crescent Canvas Textured Boards 3pk – 8″ x 10″ – MSRP: $10.46 / 16,8 PLN. Another brand that’s not sold in Poland. And this item is tricky because we do have Canvas Boards but their back is made from something differnt, the Cresent ones are cardboard. And again, it’s hard to find one in 8x10in. 21x30cm Canvas Boards on SklepPlastyczny.pl cost 5,60 PLN each, so a pack of three would be 16,8 PLN. ($10.46 = 42,51 PLN)
- Paletteful Packs Pouch – free. I found only one looking quite similar and it’s a cost of 59,99 PLN.
The price of the supplies only is 164,97 PLN excluding the shipping and other fees. Adding up shipping and customs fee it’s 237,47. If we also add the price of the pouch it would make 297,46 PLN so I’d say it’s worth it. Also, keep in mind that it’s hard to calculate the prices in this pack since some of the items aren’t available to buy in Poland and I’m not sure what quality grade are they so as a replacement I was using something I’d normally buy, not necessarily thinking of something particularly cheap or extra good quality.
Here you have the original descriptions of the items and my comments 🙂
Standard Series Acrylics General Selection Set 6 × 20 ml
This set contains 6 x 20 ml tubes that are perfect mixing colors for you to start your color palette with. Made with high-quality pigments and 100% acrylic emulsion – this medium viscosity paint is strong enough to provide nice brush strokes and texture, but can also cover large areas with a smooth color. Keep our planet clean The trays in all Amsterdam sets are made of 100% recycled plastic and are produced locally. Also, the cardboard packaging is partially made of recycled cardboard. These packagings are 100% recyclable. Help us keep our planet clean and be sure to dispose of these packagings in the correct waste bins. By doing so, you ensure that they will be completely recycled.
- LW note: I’ve used these paints before and I actually really liked them. They never were my favourite paints but only because I happened to buy different ones usually. I’m really curious how well they will work now when I have a bit more experience with acrylics 🙂 And btw, the colours included in the set are: Titanium White, Primary Yellow, Pyrrole Red, Ultramarine, Permanent Green Deep, Oxide Black.
POSCA Paint Marker, Extra-Fine Bullet – Violet
Are you ready to work with one of the best and most versatile markers on Earth?! POSCA is a paint marker popular with artists and creative hobbyists. An essential tool for creation and self-expression, it is used by professionals and amateurs every day on all types of materials. We highly encourage you to visit POSCAʼs website (see backside) to explore all of the various ways people use these markers. The non-toxic and water-based opaque paint covers well, is blendable, dries quickly, and can be overlaid when dry. You can use the marker can be used on top of your acrylic paint, on paper/board, wood, fabric, glass, ceramic, plastic, metal, minerals, and canvas.
- LW note: I’ve never tried POSCA Markers before, I’ve only heard about them and how great there are and believe me – they are awesome! I absolutely love the one I got and I SO want to use it as soon and as much as possible! It’s extremely opaque, has beautiful colour and dries out matte. Much love. Before using it the first time you have to shake the marker and then press the tip on a hard surfase several times to pump the paint into the tip.
Winsor Newton Fineliners
Winsor & Newton’s fineliner in the last box was defective. Here is a replacement. These fineliner pens fit every sketching style. The Winsor & Newton Fineliner has a smooth, tapered nib and a longer barrel that sits comfortably in the hand. The pens feature water-resistant, fadeproof pigment ink.
- LW note: An awesome fineliner, this one is even great to write with it, I see myself using it as it’s very versatile.
Robert Simmons Sapphire Sable-Synthetic Blend Brush
The Sapphire line of brushes is designed for artists working in all mediums who love the pointing, colour holding, spring and smooth application of natural sable, but also demand the durability associated with synthetic brushes. The handles are made of kiln-dried beechwood and the ferrules are precision engineered and 22 kt gold-plated. A unique blend of the finest red Kolinsky hair and synthetic filaments delivers the ultimate painting experience. Each brush is hand-made and carries a lifetime guarantee.
- LW note: I wouldn’t normally use this brush for acrylics because I prefer brushes with hard hair, mostly because I had a bad experience with the soft brushes. Also I found out that when you use acrylics, especially on canvas, they get worn out much faster than the brushes with hard hair.
Art Alternatives Artist Palette Knife
Use these knives to mix and apply even the thickest media, and manipulate texture with ease the springy blade practically sings as you work! Palette knives are also useful for scraping and cleaning up unused paint after a painting session. The knife features a flexible, solvent-compatible steel blade and a solid, hardwood handle with brass ferrule.
- LW note: I’ve never used Palette Knives before but I already have some ideas and I can’t wait to see if they’d work.
Art Alternatives Stretched Canvas – 8″ x 10″
An all-purpose canvas, Classic Cotton Stretched Canvas is great for traditional painting techniques as well as mixed media, aerosol art, home decor and craft project and is suitable for use with all acrylic paints, oil paints and other wet or dry media. The unbleached 5 oz. cotton duck is primed with acid-free acrylic titanium gesso to a finished weight of 10 oz. and stretched around and back-stapled to kiln-dried solid pine stretcher bars.
- LW note: The canvas seems to be of high quality and heavier than expected. it has a wide frame also thicker than what I’m used to.
Crescent Canvas Textured Boards 3pk – 8″ x 10″
Crescent’s new and improved canvas textured board features a traditional canvas texture and is best for acrylics and oil pastels.
Paletteful Packs Pouch – Free Gift!
To celebrate our 5th anniversary, Premier Pack subscribers are receiving the Paletteful Packs Pouch! This small pouch that is perfect for holding small tubes of paint, pens, pencils, and other small supplies. It is just the right size for fitting in a supply bin, tote bag or backpack. It is made of a durable felt fabric and has an easy glide zipper.
- LW note: I gave the pouch to my mum as many brushes I own wouldn’t fit in it anyway, but it’s a really pretty and high quality pouch, I was positively surprised by it. The felt is much thicker than expected and will last for years… if you use it as it’s supposed to be used 😀
Prompt #1: Abstract Landscape
Prompt #2: Trending
Prompt #3: Sky
Prompt #4: Fairy
And this is it! I’ve been very excited for this pack since when I spoiled myself the surprise and I checked the website with the contents and I’m still excited to try out the paints and the brush which looks very fancy to be honest 🙂 And the December pack, oh boy! I already can’t wait for it but in case someone out there doesn’t like spoilers I won’t tell you what it is.
Have you ever tried acrylic paints? What did you think about them or how do you imagine them to be if you’ve never tried them? Feel free to leave a comment here or on my Facebook.